About the Faculty
  • OVERVIEW OF THE FACULTY OF THEOLOGY

  • OVERVIEW OF ΤΗΕ UNIVERSITY OF ATHENS

    The National and Kapodistrian University of Athens is the most ancient institution for university education in Greece, Balkan and the further area of East Mediterranean. It has been founded through royal decree, which has been published on the 16th/24th April, 1837 and a little after it has been inaugurated on May the 3rd, 1837 by the King of Greece, Otto. The institution has been roofed in a neoclassical building, the house of the architect Stamatios Cleanthous, in the north-eastern side of Acropolis, which nowadays is renovated and works as the Museum of the University and a place for various events. In the beginning it has been called “Otto’s University” in memory of its founder, Otto. In 1862 it has been renamed in “National University” and in 1911 in “National and Kapodistrian University of Athens” in honor of John Kapodistrias, the first governor of  Greece after its liberation.

   According to the royal decree the University of Athens was composed of four Schools: 1) The General Science of Philosophy, Literature, Mathematic and Physical Science 2) Theology 3) Medicine and 4) Law and Politics Science.
It was a University of general interest, which gave in the Greek society not only graduates with global knowledge but also integrations-personalities. For a long period it has played a significant social-historical role, decisive for the benefit of knowledge and civilization.

    Today, the University of Athens is one modern highest educational institution, where all sciences are developed systematically and qualitative. There are also new Departments, which offer pre-graduate programs in new scientific fields. Intercourses postgraduate programs of studies cover new social-financial needs. New labors and searching centers give the possibility of the development
of technologies concerning information and communication. Organized programs and bilateral agreements have been promoted, with other European and foreign educational researching institutions, for the exchange of students, teaching-members and academic staff as also new searchers.

    The University of Athens has its own tradition in the scientific field and a creative participation in the social facts too. It satisfies, having the contribution of the teaching-members and the managerial staff as well, the challenges of the modern times while it contributes dynamically in the social-cultural and financial development of our country.

    The “propylea” (= entrance) of the University have also a social and historical meaning, because it is the place of several political gatherings, of social protests and  demonstrations of students and other social groups, who participate in movements of defending  social rights.